Re: what is the purpose of "This link has already been stored"?

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: what is the purpose of "This link has already been stored"?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 16:59:11 -0700

On 6/28/23, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
> This behaviour has been introduced in bb61b37ee
>
> bb61b37ee223fd89cf951a5fbf62e35e606a4646
> Author:     Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
> AuthorDate: Thu Dec 5 17:11:26 2019 +0100
> ol.el: Don't store the same link twice
>
> * lisp/ol.el (org-store-link): Don't store the same link twice.

thanks for traking down.

> I think that it will make a lot more sense to move the link in front of
> the stored link list instead of just printing the message.

good idea.  after all you most recently stored it, duplicate or no.

>>      id:2134123-11234123-41234123--12341
>>      eww:
>>      gnus:
>>      id:44242423-23452-345-234-523452-345
>>
>>    as there is no description and the presumably useful ids
>>    are near te bottom it is useless to try to use
>>    org-insert-link.  so idk what the solution is.
>
> The descriptions are displayed in *Org Links* buffer.

all i see is the org buffer and the minibuffer.  perhaps for
accessibility reasons i made it so that i don't see an org links
bufer.  i maximize everything and one window where possibel.

idk what geeral use links buffer woul be in practice, but it wouln't
work for me.  orig, mini, and links buffers would be too small, frame
maximized.

> The completing-read call could, however, be improved to display link
> descriptions as well. Patches welcome!

sounds good but idk.  ido did ussed to do things like put files in
parens, although i removed that nad only have the basename heading in
my ido lists for olpaths for clarity.  but idk if ido integrates well
enough to work with such a fix or not.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com