Re: [wip-cite-new] Initial implementation of `biblatex' citation process

From: Denis Maier
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Initial implementation of `biblatex' citation processor
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 15:56:57 +0200

Am 20.05.2021 um 15:22 schrieb Bruce D'Arcus:
On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:07 AM Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org> wrote:

Am 20.05.2021 um 12:36 schrieb Bruce D'Arcus:
On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 4:18 AM Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org> wrote:

But maybe cite/plain or cite/basic or so?

First, are those two suggestions just synonyms for cite/bare?

Yes. Nicolas complained about cite/bare so I've thought cite/plain may
be nicer. (See autocite=plain) But the biblatex manual uses itself the
term "bare".

OK.

I don't care; I suggested "bare" because the earlier "alt" was super vague.

Or are you indeed suggesting completely changing the current logic of
these styles and substyles? E.g "bare' substyle becomes rather a
"plain" or "basic" style?

I'm not really sure we need bare substyles at all. At least in biblatex
it's the basis for the other commands.

Though see my followup message on autocite config.

Does that change this discussion?

Why?

[...]

#+begin_example
At the beginning Doe argues this and that (2020, p. 20). He goes on to
say blabla, see ibid., p. 23.
#+end_example

In order to get the ibid., you'll need a \cite* instead of just a
\citeyear or so.

Shouldn't that example be covered in org-cite by, respectively ...

cite/year
cite/bare (or plain)

Hmm, yes. The example was not ideal. Works better in an author title style:

#+begin_example
At the beginning Doe argues this and that (Title, p. 20). Later, Doe then says blabla, see ibid., p. 23.
#+end_example

You'd get that with
#+begin_example
At the beginning Doe argues this and that \parencite*[20]{doe}. Later, Doe then says blabla, see \cite*[23]{doe}.
#+end_example

cite/year => \citeyear won't work as this will just print the year without wrapping it in parentheses. It also won't trigger the ibid. in the next citation. cite/bare = \cite would also work in that particular citation, but an author might remove the preceding sentence, which will make the ibid. disappear. You will then have a regular bare citation (= "Doe 2020", or "Doe, Title") instead of just the year or the title in parentheses.

...?

And how would all of this map to natbib and citeproc? >
The style+substyles really should work well across the output formats,
and gracefully fallback if certain variants, particularly in biblatex,
aren't available in other formats.

Is that the case with your suggested changes?

The problem is indeed portability between csl and biblatex (and natbib).
I think it's unavoidable that users who use biblatex specific commands
loose that to a certain degree. Fallback mappings should be added, of
course, but they will only get you so far. We should probably indicate
which commands work in all packages so users can make their decisions
consciously.

Yes, it seems highly likely that some of biblatex just won't fully
work in other formats.

But ideally we'd limit that.

Absolutely!

Denis