Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 13:49:05 +0200

> "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In general (conceptually), if you have one footnote in text, and one
>> in a footnote, with a note style, both will be rendered as footnotes.
>>
>> So in an adapted version from earlier:
>>
>> ----
>> Text 1 [@cite:@a].
>> Text 2[fn:1].
>>
>> [fn:1] This is [cite:@b].
>> ----
>>
>> Output would put both citations in respective footnotes.
>
> So it would produce the same output as
>
> ---
> Text 1 [fn::[@cite:@a]].
> Text 2[fn:1].
>
> [fn:1] This is [cite:@b].
> ---
>
> ?
>
> If that's correct, this requires a specific tool in "oc.el", for example
>
>   (defun org-cite-wrap-footnote (citation)
>    "Wrap CITATION object within an anonymous footnote."
>    ...)
>
> which can be used upon "exporting" the footnote, after having done
> appropriate checks.

I went ahead and implemented `org-cite-wrap-citation' function in
"oc.el" (from wip-cite-new branch). Here's a quick demo.

(defun ngz-cite-demo-export-citation (citation &rest _)
  (unless (org-cite-inside-footnote-p citation)
    (org-cite-wrap-citation citation))
  "(Doe, 1999)")

(org-cite-register-processor 'demo
  :export-citation #'ngz-cite-demo-export-citation)

When I export the following document to ASCII

#+cite_export: demo

Regular footnote[fn:1].

Reference outside footnote: [cite:@key]

Footnote with a reference[fn:2].