Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 16:54:59 -0400

A big +1 to everything John said. On this:

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 4:26 PM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> 4. I tend to have my follow function launch a hydra menu, which provides
> many action choices. I think this is easier than trying to remember a lot of
> different commands that also work at the citation at point. I started
> this with helm, then ivy and now hydra. I can't tell if a new generation
> of approaches like selectrum, or the package bibtex-actions will
> eventually replace these.

The approach I take to menus of contextual commands in bibtex-actions
is to rely on the Embark package, which will associate categorized
completion candidates with a keymap of commands, and so make the
commands available in context, display the menus depending on how you
configure it (default embark menu vs which-key).

https://github.com/oantolin/embark

So I have no code specific to this, except that a) I give the
candidates a "bibtex" metadata category in completing-read, and b) I
provide a keymap. The user has to specify the association between the
two, or to their own custom keymap.

Conceptually, I'd guess we want something similar; for it to be easy
to use hydra or embark or whatever to associate commands/functions
with citation items (keys).

Bruce