Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 20:01:14 -0400

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 7:51 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> András Simonyi <andras.simonyi@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > This is a crucial point: when a note CSL style is used, the export has
> > to generate footnotes "around"  those citations  which are not already
> > in a footnote.
> > Since citeproc-org generates only Org fragments, this is very simple
> > to do (with anonymous footnotes), but for other formats it can be
> > rather complicated. Would calling `org-export-data-with-backend'
> > handle this? If yes then adding an argument  to request this call
> > would be very useful.
>
> No, I don't think `org-export-data' would handle this. It may require
> a more specific tool.
>
> Do you have a small example (org + desired output) so I can experiment
> with it?

In general (conceptually), if you have one footnote in text, and one
in a footnote, with a note style, both will be rendered as footnotes.

So in an adapted version from earlier:

----
Text 1 [@cite:@a].
Text 2[fn:1].

[fn:1] This is [cite:@b].
----

Output would put both citations in respective footnotes.

I included this originally in CSL to make it possible for a user to
switch between note-based and other styles without having to modify
their documents.

Bruce