Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 14:03:28 +0200

Hello,

András Simonyi <andras.simonyi@gmail.com> writes:

> well, I think there might be some legitimate use cases, e.g.,
> (see Smith 1997, p. 2, see also p. 33, pp. 45-47, but /cf./ p. 103)

This use-case is not convincing, because it ought to be the task of the
citation processor to italicize "cf." (perhaps through an option), for
consistency across citations.

> here one might want cf. to be set in italics, and I can imagine
> situations in which emphasizing a phrase in a prefix/suffix can be
> useful,

Hmmm.

A drawback with allowing emphasis there is that prefix and suffix become
parsed data and not plain string anymore. As a consequence, searching
through them, e.g., when looking for locator names, requires an
additional level of indirection, since you need to first transform
parsed data back into plain text.

Of course, this is not a deal breaker, just something to know in order
to eventually make an informed choice.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou