Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 19:07:52 +0200

Hello,

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> As a user, is there any way I can participate at this point? I'm not in a
> position to contribute code tight now but really do want to have this
> feature as soon as possible. It's going to improve my students' lives quite
> a bit.

Thank you for your interest.

I have completed step 2, barring some documentation to write. At this
point, there is a defined citation syntax (step 1), and a complete API
to operate on citations (step 2). I will rebase "wip-cite-new" branch
and post a wrap-up soon.

Once done, the next step is to write a limited default back-end, and,
more importantly, to convert existing citation systems to use the API,
and extend it if required.

I will take care about the default back-end (hopefully before the end of
the week but don't hold your breath), but can only provide guidance for
the conversion part. I hope there is enough motivated people to give it
a try.

So, while participation is mostly code-related at this point, you can
certainly comment about the usability of the API from a user POV. Of
course, at this point, we need something that works well enough, not
necessarily something feature complete.

Also, if all goes well, there will be a need for a complete
documentation in the manual… Hear, hear.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou