Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: M . ‘quintus’ Gülker
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 21:13:30 +0200

Hi,

Am 12. April 2021 um 15:19 Uhr +0200 schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
> The syntax is complete in "wip-cite-new" branch. For the record, in its
> full glory, it can look like this:
>
>   [cite/style: global prefix; prefix -@key suffix ; ... ; global suffix]
>
> [...]
>   - "exporting" action is trickier, because there are multiple ways to
>     do the integration, and, since I'm not an implementor for citation
>     processors, I don't have an accurate view about what is the best
>     design. [...]
>     The second mandatory function is obviously responsible for rendering
>     citations. It is called with a citation object, the desired style,
>     if any, and the export back-end, the full list of citations objets
>     in the document, and the list of bibliography files. It should also
>     return a string. Org provides a helper function to determine the
>     footnote containing a citation (and its label, or number) from
>     a citation object.
>
>     In the functions described above, I don't know if the arguments are
>     sufficient.

The citation object will provide access to all elements of the new
cite syntax I assume, including things like key, prefix and suffix?

Several styles I am normally confronted with require crossreferencing
in citation footnotes (example: “Doe (see above Fn. 24), pp. 35-37”).
Formatting this requires access to the place where an @key first
occured in a footnote. The full list of citation objects probably
suffices for that information; on a first thought I would either use
the first citation object from that list with the @key at hand unequal
to the active citation object (if the list is in the order in which
the citations appear in the exported document, which might not match
the order in the org source) or use the citation object whose footnote
label has the lowest number and is unequal to the active citation
object (if the list is not guaranteed to be in said order). I would
prefer the former approach, because sometimes I deal with footnotes
with numbers like “4a” (a footnote inserted at a late stage in the
authoring process between footnotes 4 and 5), which defeats the
lowest-number approach.

For non-footnote-based citations, the “helper function to determine
the footnote containing a citation” should probably return nil.

  -quintus

--
Dipl.-Jur. M. Gülker | https://mg.guelker.eu |    For security:
Passau, Germany      | kontakt@guelker.eu    | () Avoid HTML e-mail