Re: New Eglot release

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Eglot release
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 14:23:33 +0200

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Cc: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org, eliz@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 11:38:37 +0000
>
> Eli, is this patch good to push?  It adds a new etc/EGLOT-NEWS and makes
> a tiny mention to it in etc/NEWS.

EGLOT-NEWS mentions many bugfixes, something that we don't do in
NEWS.  The style is also very different:

> +(github#29)
> +
> +** Handle experimental/unknown server methods gracefully.

This doesn't say enough about the change, so why mention it?  And why
the GitHub reference there?

> +** Hierarchical symbols are supported in Imenu.
> +Thanks to Ingo Lohmar for the original implementation (github#303).

We don't mention individual contributors in NEWS.  They are mentioned
in AUTHORS instead (and if you want, also in doc/emacs/ack.texi).

> +(github#196)
> +
> +** Completion sorting fixed.

This (and other similar entries) are not very useful, IMNSHO.

Moreover, I don't think I see why mentioning past versions of Eglot
that were never parts of Emacs would be useful to someone.  It might
be okay to have that on ELPA, but I don't see why we'd want this in
Emacs core.

> +mode: outline
> +mode: bug-reference-mode

Why not emacs-news-mode?

> +Please send Eglot bug reports to 'bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org', and Cc (or
> +X-Debbugs-CC) the maintainer 'joaotavora@gmail.com' as well.  Please
> +read the chapter titled "Troubleshooting" in the Eglot manual,
> +available https://joaotavora.github.io/eglot/#Troubleshooting-Eglot

The Eglot manual is now part of Emacs, not on GitHub.