Re: New Eglot release

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: New Eglot release
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:12:01 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  jp@neverwas.me,  philipk@posteo.net,
>>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 20:16:07 +0000
>>
>> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>>
>> > There is the samll disadvantage that it shows the file readonly. But
>> > that's an annoyance only for somebody who wants to edit the file, and it
>> > can be fixed then by "M-x emacs-news-mode".
>>
>> I'm tempted to do that, but the annoyance might be too much, methings.
>
> Doesn't "C-x C-q" solve that with a single command?

That's why I was tempted, but thinking that this file is to be edited by
other users, like the ones proposing new features over at bug#62116 and
github#839, and knowing that these users are not always familiar with
Emacs' development, this could be a source of confusion.  As in "should
I be editing this read-only file?".  A small hindrance, of course, but
the somewhat frivolous cosmetics we gain in exchange aren't worth it,
IMO.  Better to fix emacs-news-mode.

João