Re: New Eglot release

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: New Eglot release
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 12:50:27 +0000

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 12:23 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> > Cc: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
> > eliz@gnu.org
> > Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 11:38:37 +0000
> >
> > Eli, is this patch good to push?  It adds a new etc/EGLOT-NEWS and makes
> > a tiny mention to it in etc/NEWS.
>
> EGLOT-NEWS mentions many bugfixes, something that we don't do in
> NEWS.  The style is also very different:

Yes, it's quite different and this is in big part why I opted for
a separate file, so hopefully these idiosyncrasies could be
at least tolerated.

> > +(github#29)
> > +
> > +** Handle experimental/unknown server methods gracefully.
>
> This doesn't say enough about the change, so why mention it?  And why
> the GitHub reference there?

For readers to get access to the original context.  This was all
pre-merge, and at the time I decided as maintainer that that would
be the kind of NEWS file that I would like to read.

> > +** Hierarchical symbols are supported in Imenu.
> > +Thanks to Ingo Lohmar for the original implementation (github#303).
>
> We don't mention individual contributors in NEWS.  They are mentioned
> in AUTHORS instead (and if you want, also in doc/emacs/ack.texi).

Yeah, again pre-merge.  At the time I didn't have an AUTHORS file and
I wanted to thank certain contributors specially for certain
contributions.  Shall I remove these mentions? (Sorry Ingo :-) )

> > +(github#196)
> > +
> > +** Completion sorting fixed.
>
> This (and other similar entries) are not very useful, IMNSHO.
>
> Moreover, I don't think I see why mentioning past versions of Eglot
> that were never parts of Emacs would be useful to someone.
> It might be okay to have that on ELPA,

Eglot is a :core GNU ELPA package, meaning its source files and its
documentation lives in the Emacs.git repo.

> but I don't see why we'd want this in Emacs core.

I think it's quite nice to have a historical record of Eglot's
evolution, to see how far it has come, how certain decisions were
taken and adjusted over the years.

> > +mode: outline
> > +mode: bug-reference-mode
>
> Why not emacs-news-mode?

Because, for some reason I didn't investigate, it erases my
bug-reference-bug-regexp and the links stop working.

> > +Please send Eglot bug reports to 'bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org', and Cc (or
> > +X-Debbugs-CC) the maintainer 'joaotavora@gmail.com' as well.  Please
> > +read the chapter titled "Troubleshooting" in the Eglot manual,
> > +available https://joaotavora.github.io/eglot/#Troubleshooting-Eglot
>
> The Eglot manual is now part of Emacs, not on GitHub.

When Emacs 29 is releasd, probably the Eglot manual will be in GNU
sites _for that release, but not for all the other intermediate releases
of the :core ELPA package.

AFAIK, the only place where an up-to-date version is published
for users to read is that link (I'm happy to be shown otherwise, so
I don't have to do this periodic chore anymore).

João