Re: New Eglot release

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: New Eglot release
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 22:15:13 +0000

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> After some significant work done to Eglot in emacs-29 the last few
>> weeks, I'd like to make the 1.12 release so people can use it from GNU
>> ELPA in older Emacs versions.
>>
>> However, one question remains from the merge: where to put
>> Eglot-specific NEWS describing the latest user-visible changes??
>>
>> I'm not opposed to putting them in Emacs's own NEWS file, except that
>> for this Emacs 29 version it'd be a bit akward, since Eglot just made it
>> in, so the existing NEWS is about Eglot's appearance, not about what
>> changed recently.
>>
>> I think, someone suggested /etc/EGLOT-NEWS at the time.  That could
>> work, I guess.  But would anyone read it?
>
> Would using a "News" section in eglot.el (along the same lines of the
> "Commentary" section) make sense here?  elpa-admin.el should pick this
> up when generating news for elpa.gnu.org.

Thanks for the suggestion. It would make sense, but has the drawback
that it makes a file grow a bit too much for my personal taste.  Do you
know if elpa-admin.el can pick up etc/EGLOT-NEWS?  If not, I think I'll
go with Emacs's etc/NEWS, which is the most visible anyway.  Maybe one
day there will be way for elpa-admin.el to pick up the Eglot-relevant
section there.

João