Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 14:35:00 +0800

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The question I wonder about is where are we most likely to get the
>> majority of our contributions from, those who use org mode and know it
>> or those who don't and for those who use org-mode, how many will
>> know texinfo?
>
> Recruiting contributors for Org is also a way to recruit contributors
> for the GNU project in general, which uses Texinfo as its standard
> format for manuals.

I am now more concerned about Org contributors. I am not sure if we have
a luxury to push our contributors into GNU project by forcing them to
learn texinfo in addition to Org (note that I do not say that we should
not encourage people to contribute to GNU; just that we should not
discourage people from becoming Org contributors in the first place).

>> Real problem is the challenge of realising a better
>> process given the very very few core contributors available - basically
>> a resourcing challenge).
>
> What we don't see so far is the contributors we lose because we use
> .org as the format for the manual: Eli is one and there are probably
> others.

I am wondering how many Emacs developers contributed to Org in the past.
In particular, before we switched away from .texi manual.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,