Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 09:47:39 +0200

> As the outcome of that thread, I managed to reduce org->texinfo
> conversion down to 4sec.
> https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/87czf9np98.fsf@localhost
> I do not think that the overall impact on the build process is something
> we need to worry about in this context.

Thanks a lot for working on this, this is a great achievement.

To be fair, the impact on the build process was not really my main
concern.  My concern is that Org does not respect the GNU standards.

>> Respecting the GNU standards about manuals ("The preferred document
>> format for the GNU system is the Texinfo formatting language.") and
>> the recent discussions provide good reasons for switching back to
>> .texi, if all maintainers agree.
>
> Do note that RMS expressed interest in changing this standard to Org,
> given that Org provides all the necessary tooling to produce
> high-quality manual.
> https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/E1nzQh5-0001OB-22@fencepost.gnu.org

I'm aware of this possibility, but there are many "if" :)

Also, we can work toward this possibility without using .org for the
Org manual.

What do you think of my proposal to produce an example document,
demonstrating the Org syntax and its possibilities?

It would surely help us test our own code (parser and exporters) and
help others write parsers/exporters (outside of Emacs).

--
 Bastien