Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 05:47:51 +1000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:35:54 +0200
>>
>> Respecting the GNU standards about manuals ("The preferred document
>> format for the GNU system is the Texinfo formatting language.") and
>> the recent discussions provide good reasons for switching back to
>> .texi, if all maintainers agree.
>
> I definitely agree (it makes it easier for me to contribute to the Org
> manual).  But eventually it is the decision of the Org project.

and I would be exactly the opposite. I know and use org-mode. I don't
know and have never used texinfo despite over 25 years of Emacs
use. Having to learn another formatting solution just to contribute to
the formatting solution I use isn't going to be encouraging.

The question I wonder about is where are we most likely to get the
majority of our contributions from, those who use org mode and know it
or those who don't and for those who use org-mode, how many will know texinfo?

I know one of the original justifications was to see if it improved
contributions towards documentation and it appears this has not been the
case. However, I do wonder about that - I have certainly seen numerous
manual patches on the list and I wonder how many of those would not
occur if the patcher also needed to know texinfo? There may also be
other impediments which slows down contributions that are unrelated to
the documentation format (I still find determining if something is a
known issue or not and the state of progress to resolving it difficult
to track - not a criticism of the core maintainers, who I believe do an
incredible job. Real problem is the challenge of realising a better
process given the very very few core contributors available - basically
a resourcing challenge).

At the end of the day, I think the dog food argument is
important. Having the manual in org format has seen a number of
improvements and does provide a good and most importantly large and used
example. Having a sample document which developers could use to verify
parsers etc would be a good addition, but the problem with such
documents is they tend not to be maintained and are not actively
used. There is huge value in having a large and reasonably complex
document which is being actively updated/enhanced and which is used in
the real world to produce documents in various formats which are also
actively read and used. It tends to be in active use of generated
documents we find more subtle issues, things which tend to be
missed in cursory scans of test documents.