Re: [Patch] Add project.el command to replace symbol at point throughout

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Patch] Add project.el command to replace symbol at point throughout project
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 05:02:35 +0200

On 15.01.2022 20:30, Juri Linkov wrote:
When I first let-bound `read-regexp-defaults-function` around the call to
`query-replace-read-args`, it didn't work- it looks like `read-regexp`
needs to be passed a symbol for its `DEFAULTS` parameter or it ignores
`read-regexp-default-function`. I passed in the symbol at point to
`DEFAULTS` which works- if I understand correctly the value of any I pass
in doesn't end up making a difference as long as it's a symbol. I wasn't
sure what the reason was for that behavior, but I didn't want to mess with
stuff I didn't understand.

This is needed to handle `read-regexp` in `occur-read-primary-args`
that uses the symbol `regexp-history-last` by default.

occur?

read-regexp is called from query-replace-read-from.

Binding read-regexp-defaults-function doesn't seem to work because its use is for some reason predicated on (and defaults (symbolp defaults)) evaluating to non-nil.

And 'read-regexp' is called with nil second argument.

Before finishing this implementation, please answer one question.
`query-replace-read-from` uses two minibuffer-reading functions:

                 (if regexp-flag
                     (read-regexp prompt sym-at-point 'minibuffer-history)
                   (read-from-minibuffer
                    prompt nil nil nil nil
                    (query-replace-read-from-suggestions) t))

Do you think the same default with the symbol at point
should be used for the non-regexp case with read-from-minibuffer as well?
If yes, then we need a different solution that works for both cases.

It doesn't have to be the same. project-query-replace-regexp could bind read-regexp-defaults-function, and xref-find-references-and-replace could bind something else. But that variable still needs to be created.