Re: [Patch] Add project.el command to replace symbol at point throughout

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Patch] Add project.el command to replace symbol at point throughout project
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 03:41:38 +0200

Jon,

Thanks for taking a stab at this, by the way.

To clarify why your patch was not enough:

On 15.01.2022 11:55, Jon Eskin wrote:
When I first let-bound `read-regexp-defaults-function` around the call to
`query-replace-read-args`, it didn't work- it looks like `read-regexp` needs to
be passed a symbol for its `DEFAULTS` parameter or it ignores
`read-regexp-default-function`. I passed in the symbol at point to `DEFAULTS`
which works- if I understand correctly the value of any I pass in doesn't end
up making a difference as long as it's a symbol. I wasn't sure what the reason
was for that behavior, but I didn't want to mess with stuff I didn't understand.

This change (having query-replace-read-from use symbol-at-point) affects all its callers, whereas the idea was to delegate the default detection logic to a piece of code determined by the caller.

That's why the next step was to determine why binding 'read-regexp-defaults-function' didn't have the desired effect, rather than calling 'symbol-at-point' directly.