Re: [Patch] Add project.el command to replace symbol at point throughout

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Patch] Add project.el command to replace symbol at point throughout project
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 05:06:06 +0200

Hi Juri,

On 17.01.2022 10:17, Juri Linkov wrote:
+                  (read-string
+                   prompt
+                   nil nil
+                   (if read-regexp-defaults-function
+                       (funcall read-regexp-defaults-function)
+                     (query-replace-read-from-suggestions))
Isn't it too strange that read-string uses the read-regexp function?
Maybe better to add a new variable read-string-defaults-function.

That sounds fine to me.

Then it could provide an option to use 'car' of
query-replace-read-from-suggestions, and allow a custom function.

...less confident about this one, because read-regexp-defaults-function doesn't do anything like that, right? It might be nice if the options mirrored each other.

But if it's too much of a bother right now, I could just add two hand-written prompts with default to xref-find-references-and-replace, without the fancy "arrow". It's not like the replacements history is going to see too much use for this command.

In the meantime, I think you should install your latest patch now (without the xref.el part, since it doesn't work yet).