Re: NonGNU ELPA work

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA work
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 09:35:13 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: stefan@marxist.se, philipk@posteo.net, bozhidar@batsov.dev,
>       monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 23:23:31 -0500
>
>   > Most of the cost and the inconvenience of keeping a mailing list is
>   > not visible to people around here, because I silently manage the Emacs
>   > mailing lists behind the scenes.
>
> Perhaps you are thinking of mailing lists run by Mailman which allow
> people to subscribe.  I am thinking of a private list which will have
> just a few people on it.  I can set it up myself.
>
> Some people make a distinction between "aliases" and "mailing lists".
> In that terminology, this would be an "alias".

IME, using aliases is not a good idea in the long run.  The management
of an alias needs more time investment from the person who manages it,
because that person needs to do everything him/herself according to
requests from the "subscribers", and aliases are much more prone to
lose archives due to all kinds of calamities.  E.g., if I want to look
up something in the old emacs-hackers "alias" which was used before
emacs-devel came into existence, I have nowhere to turn to except to
my own imperfect archives.  Fact is we moved from aliases to real
mailing lists, in Emacs development and elsewhere, and we never looked
back.

I don't see how using aliases for this is different from keeping
personal archives of whatever messages you think need to be recorded
for future reference.

But if you want to set up and maintain an alias for that, in a way
that satisfies your requirements, including CC'ing the alias when you
see fit, I don't think anyone will object.