Re: NonGNU ELPA work

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA work
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 23:38:09 -0500

  > Yes, as the important word here is "depend on", not "use at all" most
  > cases I can imagine where someone would break this rule would also be
  > bad design (think of someone hard-coding Google Chrome as a browser
  > instead of using `browse-url').

That is the right way to understand it.  If a program runs the user's
specified default browser and the user has specified Chrome, the user
is responsible for that outcome -- the program is not.

It's unlikely that Lisp packages would make this mistake for browsers
-- though NOT impossible, and we should check.  But it is much more
likely to happen with some more specialized nonfree program that has
no free replacement.

For some hackers, the argument that "There's no
other way to make this work" would persuade them it is ok.

They may take for granted that "a nonfree program better than no
program"; they may never have encountered anyone who would disagree.
Showing them that the GNU Project does disagree with that premise will
help a lot.