Re: NonGNU ELPA work

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA work
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 22:57:16 -0500

  > Having had a past discussion can be useful since there's a change the
  > person will better understand where we're coming from, but I don't see
  > any benefit from actually referring to that past discussion.

The first thing the archives will do for us is tell _us_ what happened
in that past discussion.  That alone will be helpful by itself.

  > In my experience when a problem shows up, we just go through the usual
  > routine of trying to figure out who's currently in charge (often it's
  > someone else than last time we communicated) and then talk to them to
  > see how we can get it fixed.

I expect it will sometimes help to be able to say, "So-and-so made the
following arrangement with us.  How about if we continue it?"

Keeping this archive will be as easy as adding a cc to the messages.
With so little cost or invconvenience, there is no reason not to do this.

We should also ask the package developers to tell new developers
about the agreement they made with us.  That's a separate thing to do,
but pertinent to this point.