Re: Emacs pretest 28.0.90 is out

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 28.0.90 is out
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 14:37:43 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 09:02:26 +0800
>
> However, it seems to be that etags depends on gnulib regex now, and upon
> enabling that module it complains about "langinfo.h" missing, which I
> assume isn't in DJGPP.
>
> I can't find any code to generate it in gnulib either.

The easiest way of fixing this with minimal fuss is to add to the
msdos/ directory a hand-made langinfo.h, with a cop-out definition of
nl_langinfo:

#define nl_langinfo(ignore)  "cp437"

Gnulib's regexp only uses this to detect when UTF-8 is supported, and
DJGPP doesn't support that as the locale's codeset.

> So I'm confused: what did etags use in Emacs 26, when the MS-DOS build
> still certainly worked?

It used the Emacs's own regexp code, the one that is nowadays called
regex-emacs.c.