Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 14:45:04 +0200

> From: John Ankarström <john@ankarstrom.se>
> Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 02:45:02 +0100
>
> For what it's worth, I think that it would be a good idea to limit this
> feature to mouse-based scrolling.

The display engine doesn't know what kind of user gestures (or even
Lisp program) caused the scroll, so doing that cleanly won't be easy,
if at all feasible.  And Emacs users are likely to dislike a solution
that makes such a distinction, since many of them don't use the mouse.

> I agree with Alan that, if you primarily use the keyboard for scrolling,
> it is very jarring if editing/movement commands bring the window view
> back to the original position.

You'd prefer to have the editing command change the buffer in the
portion that stays invisible?  IMNSHO, that'd be not just more
jarring, it would be appalling.