Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?

From: John Ankarström
Subject: Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 14:52:13 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> That's why I suggested limiting the whole feature to mouse-based
>> scrolling. If you are scrolling with the mouse, it is natural to click
>> to set a new position for the point. But if you are scrolling with, say,
>> Page Up and Page Down, you would need to move your hand to the mouse to
>> set a new position for the point.
>
> I'm not saying we shouldn't provide all the knobs to _allow_ limiting
> the scope of this feature to mouse wheel (or precision) scrolling, if
> that is what you mean by mouse scrolling, but I see no reason to limit
> the feature to that by default.

Sounds good -- although I think that there should be an included
command, like C-l, that moves the point to the currently viewed portion.

>> This makes the whole feature quite useless for any scrolling that isn't
>> mouse-based. When scrolling with the keyboard, it is annoying if the
>> only way to move the point to the scrolled-to position is by clicking
>> the mouse.
>
> If you don't like that behaviour, you will be able to turn it off by
> setting `scroll-move-point' to nil.
>
> In fact, it's off by default.

Which behavior do you mean? If you're referring to the point-detached
scrolling, I *do* like that behavior. I would just dislike it if, again,
there weren't any way (such as the reverse C-l I suggested) to move the
point to the currently viewed portion.

> Thanks.

Thank you very much for working on this! I have wanted such a feature in
Emacs for a long time :-)