Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 21:38:46 +0800

John Ankarström <john@ankarstrom.se> writes:

> No. What I meant is this:

> "Point-detached" scrolling is only useful if there is a way to move the
> point to the current view.

> Let's say the point is at the beginning of the buffer. I scroll down to
> look for a specific definition. I find it in the middle of the buffer.
> Now, I want to edit that definition. But how do I get the point to the
> currently viewed position?

> In (all?) "modern" editors, the only way to do this is by left-clicking.

> That's why I suggested limiting the whole feature to mouse-based
> scrolling. If you are scrolling with the mouse, it is natural to click
> to set a new position for the point. But if you are scrolling with, say,
> Page Up and Page Down, you would need to move your hand to the mouse to
> set a new position for the point.

I'm not saying we shouldn't provide all the knobs to _allow_ limiting
the scope of this feature to mouse wheel (or precision) scrolling, if
that is what you mean by mouse scrolling, but I see no reason to limit
the feature to that by default.

> This makes the whole feature quite useless for any scrolling that isn't
> mouse-based. When scrolling with the keyboard, it is annoying if the
> only way to move the point to the scrolled-to position is by clicking
> the mouse.

If you don't like that behaviour, you will be able to turn it off by
setting `scroll-move-point' to nil.

In fact, it's off by default.

Thanks.