Re: Gitlab Migration

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:21:40 -0400

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 7:50 AM Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> appealing to newcomers (and/or trying to adopt contemporary usability
> practices) is of much lesser priority than, say, making sure that each
> key binding that has been with us for a number of years, is left
> unchanged for ever. We hate to risk inconveniencing existing users.

I agree with Dmitry.  I would love to see the community be
more open to change, be it key bindings or new workflows.

I have been using Emacs since Lucid-Emacs at Apollo
Computer in the mid-1980s.  I have a massive .init file.
Still, I welcome change and evolution.  Other technologies
that I use on a daily basis evolve, even those for which I
develop muscle memory (e.g. my smart phone).  I accept
such change and can even acknowledge that some of it
represents progress over time.  Other changes I put up
with just to track the herd and not be left behind.

I wish that we were not so determined to proudly go it alone.
Our stances often remind me of this ditty:

    Here lies the body of William Jay,
    who died maintaining his right of way.
    He was right as he sped along—
    but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Any changes that can attract new blood have my vote.