Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:15:30 -0400

On 8/31/21 12:03 PM, João Távora wrote:
> gain, just anecdotal evidence which you may take for what it's worth,
> but in fact I believe that the "slow", unfamiliar, peculiar,
> old-school whatever-you-want-to-call-them methods used in Emacs
> development may in fact be "aces up our sleeve", not just a means to
> appease those that have been using them for a number of years.

I had a different experience: a large project I contribute to occasionally
(Coq) moved to Github a few years ago, and that was followed with a significant
increase in first-time contributions.

On a smaller scale, we have had many more (good) bug reports and pull requests
for Proof General since we moved it to Github.

What this doesn't say is whether any "modern" workflow would have helped, or
whether it was specifically Github, because of network effects (the barrier for
contribution is lower if you already have an account and you are already
familiar with the UI).

In fact, it doesn't even say whether it was the move itself that helped, or
whether the move was an irrelevant manifestation of a more welcoming approach
and a general effort to attract contributions.