Re: Gitlab Migration

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:03:10 +0100

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 12:50 PM Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> On 31.08.2021 06:09, Richard Stallman wrote:
> >    > Yes, as is now apparent from multiple arguments around the subject,
> >    > appealing to newcomers (and/or trying to adopt contemporary usability
> >    > practices) is of much lesser priority than, say, making sure that each
> >    > key binding that has been with us for a number of years, is left
> >    > unchanged for ever. We hate to risk inconveniencing existing users.
> >
> > Please don't bring sarcasm into our discussions.  It tends to make the
> > discussion more acrimonious and make agreement more difficult.
> > Any point can be made without sarcasm, and it's likely to arouse
> > less resistance that way.
>
> I wasn't really that sarcastic. The above is literally my observations
> on our decision-making in the area.

I want to offer a small amount of anecdotal evidence in favor of the
recent push to Sourcehut and against the GitLab/GitHub alternatives
that are presumably favoured by you (Dmitry) and some others.  In recent
$DAYJOBs I worked with these two GL/GH platforms fully, using them
liberally and without restrictions. In these recent experiences the undeniable
contemporarity and newcomer friendliness of these platforms does NOT
seem to translate into quality of code, quality of discussion or any
kind of benefic developer agility in any way.  Again, just anecdotal
evidence which you may take for what it's worth, but in fact I believe
that the "slow", unfamiliar, peculiar, old-school whatever-you-want-to-call-them
methods used in Emacs development may in fact be "aces up our
sleeve", not just a means to appease those that have been using them
for a number of years.

João