Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Drew DeVault
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 12:16:03 +0200

Hi! This thread is on my radar but I am at an event so I am a bit scarce
on time. I will answer any questions in thorough detail tomorrow or
Monday. In the meantime, a small summary based on what I've acertained
from reading this thread:

First, we would be very pleased to host emacs on our service, or with
our software on your own infrastructure. It should more-or-less work
with everyone's existing workflows, given that emacs is an
email-oriented project, and over time we are developing an improved
web-based experience which should allow more and more users access to
emacs development over time without necessarily requiring the
maintainers or those who prefer their email-oriented workflow to have to
change their workflow to accomodate a platform like GitLab. We should
also rate quite highly in terms of free-as-in-freedom, since the entire
service is free software, mostly AGPL.

Regarding payment, payment is expected of those who *own* resources on
SourceHut, for the hosted version only. If you host it yourself, you can
configure these settings per your needs. So, for instance, the person
who has control over the emacs mailing lists would be expected to have a
paid account. However, contributors, i.e. someone who sends a patch to
that list, are not expected to pay. In fact, you don't need an account
to participate at all, much like GNU Mailman (which I think you're using
now?)

The bug tracker is indeed a bit different, but we are planning
improvements which will make it more email-oriented, by basically making
it a frontend for the mailing lists similarly to how debbugs works.

If you have any other questions, drop them in my inbox and I'll answer
as soon as I'm able. Cheers!