Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 21:38:43 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 17:29:46 +0200
>> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
>> CC: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com>,
>>  philipk@posteo.net
>>
>> >There doesn't seem to be much movement on getting GitLab to support the
>> >features we want, so perhaps we should take a closer look at SourceHut
>> >instead.  Has anybody here done an evaluation of SourceHut to see
>> >whether it'd fit our requirements?
>> >

>> We actually discussed it on this list with its creator, Drew DeVault last
>> year:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/msg00534.html
>
> That was almost a year ago, and the discussion is thin on actual
> details.  Support for email-based workflow is a good start, and is one
> of the main requirements, but what about the GitLab/Github-like
> features? if they are missing or incomplete, we will be trading
> debbugs for something that is basically the same beast in a different
> wrapping.  And what about the other requirements we collected and
> documented in the GitLab issue about this?

It seems like Sourcehut supports everything requested, but I might be
missing something, of course.  In particular the CI is very nice and
simple, at least for the hosted version at https://sr.ht.  It also
supports running without javascript at all, so the libreJS debate should
be settled right there. Instead of me speaking on sourcehuts behalf,
with which I have no affiliation outside of being a happy customer
myself, I'll ping the creator.

@drew, should I or someone else create an issue over at sourcehut about
this or do you want to chime in here?  (apologies if contacting you this
way is inappropriate)

> So, like Lars, I think it would help if someone could post an
> evaluation of SourceHut vs what we'd like to see, using the GitLab
> issue as the baseline.
>
> TIA

Hope this helps,
Theodor