Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 23:07:12 +0300

> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, larsi@gnus.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>  danflscr@gmail.com, philipk@posteo.net, sir@cmpwn.com
> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 21:38:43 +0200
>
> >> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/msg00534.html
> >
> > That was almost a year ago, and the discussion is thin on actual
> > details.  Support for email-based workflow is a good start, and is one
> > of the main requirements, but what about the GitLab/Github-like
> > features? if they are missing or incomplete, we will be trading
> > debbugs for something that is basically the same beast in a different
> > wrapping.  And what about the other requirements we collected and
> > documented in the GitLab issue about this?
> >

> It seems like Sourcehut supports everything requested, but I might be
> missing something, of course.  In particular the CI is very nice and
> simple, at least for the hosted version at https://sr.ht.  It also
> supports running without javascript at all, so the libreJS debate should
> be settled right there. Instead of me speaking on sourcehuts behalf,
> with which I have no affiliation outside of being a happy customer
> myself, I'll ping the creator.

Would it be possible to have a more detailed review, like short
description of what is available for each of the requirements in the
GitLab issue?  That should give us a good idea of how close we are to
the goal.

I tried to find answers to those questions myself, but there doesn't
seem to be any detailed documentation that describes the setup and
usage from the routine user POV (or maybe I missed it?).  I did find a
heads-up that "from the beta onwards, unpaid accounts will be limited
to read-only access to their own projects", so I wonder what that
means for us.  It also says that "web-based workflow for submitting
and reviewing patches" is still under development.