Re: Don't add tags to ELPA packages -- documentation?

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Don't add tags to ELPA packages -- documentation?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 00:03:16 -0700

> On Aug 17, 2021, at 11:41 PM, Bozhidar Batsov <bozhidar@batsov.dev> wrote:
>
> I'm a bit confused by the conversation so far. Can someone elaborate on
> "maintainers have explicitly pushed their tags to the ELPA repo"? I do tag
> all the releases of my packages, as that's a common (and good) practice, but
> I don't understand why would something like this be affecting ELPA
> negatively. Does it sync the tags from the remotes or what?
>
> In general I don't think that something like "stop tagging your releases
> upstream" is a good solution. Adding a prefix to the tag name (e.g. the
> package name) also seems weird in the context of a single project repository.

Tags are not automatically pushed, so if you don’t explicitly push tags to
ELPA[1], ELPA shouldn’t include tags in your upstream repo. Tags are indeed
global in ELPA, but again, if no one explicitly pushes his package’s tags to
ELPA, there shouldn’t be any conflict. So you can keep tagging your repo
without using any prefix. That’s what I gathered from following the thread.

[1] Reading Phil’s message, one can explicitly push tags with

"git push --follow-tags" to include relevant tags.
"git push --tag" to include *all* tags.

So if you don’t do that, you aren’t pushing tags to ELPA.

Yuan