Re: Don't add tags to ELPA packages -- documentation?

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: Don't add tags to ELPA packages -- documentation?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:01:03 -0500

>>> Can I patch the README to tell developers not to use tags at all?
>>
>> Sure.
>> Indeed tags are not used in elpa.git and nongnu.git.
>>
>> Of course, you can still use tags there if you want, like in any
>> other repository, but you're better off giving them names that include
>> the relevant package's name, like `ebdb-0.7`.
>
> Good to know! I don't suppose you know what happens when we add ELPA or
> nongnu ELPA as a new remote to a repo already containing tags that will
> conflict with ELPA tags? Do you know at what stage git will bark at us?
> Anyway, I can probably figure this out myself, but inquiring minds on
> Matrix want to know...

Well, that mind would be mine.  :)  Yes, I'd like to submit some of my
packages (including some that are already on MELPA) to ELPA or nongnu
ELPA at some point, but I tag my stable releases with tags like "0.6.1",
which MELPA uses for MELPA Stable packages.  It seems like I'd have to
either delete the tags or rename them with the package name as a prefix,
and AFAIK either one would be incompatible with MELPA Stable.  Of
course, I guess there'd be no need to be on MELPA anymore in that case,
but having to fix all the tags would be a hassle, and then I'd have to
break an old habit.  I guess one can't have everything, but it'd be
great if this could be "solved."  The idea of sharing tags with other
repos that aren't part of my own repos feels a little like a Twilight
Zone episode, if there were an Emacs edition: they're not there, but
they're there...  :)