Re: Don't add tags to ELPA packages -- documentation?

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: Don't add tags to ELPA packages -- documentation?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:54:08 +0200

Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com> writes:

Let's document that tags should not be pushed; both why and how,
as described elsewhere in this thread.

But I expect that tags will still occasionally be pushed anyway.
When that happens we should figure out what upstream repository
they came from, educate the respective maintainer about how to
avoid pushing them again, and then delete them.

But [because it is going to keep happening] this is more important:

> Mmm, IIUC any of "git clone", "git fetch" and "git pull" can fetch tags
> if not used with "--no-tags".  A quick look at elpa-admin.el shows some
> occurrences of "pull" without "--no-tags", but I haven't looked hard
> enough at the GNU ELPA machinery to figure if those could have fetched
> the tags we observe.

Every occurrence of "git clone ..." and "git remote add ..." in the
documentation should be updated to mention that "--no-tags" has to be
used to prevent tags from being pulled.  We should also document how to
recover if the tags have already been pulled.  And finally we should add
an annotated tag named something like "use--no-tags" and use its
annotation to repeat the documentation about adding "--no-tags" and how
to clean up.

     Jonas