Re: Native Compilation And External Packages

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Native Compilation And External Packages
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 14:52:26 -0400

>> The warnings are inconsistent as in:
>>
>> Compiling at the command line using -f batch-byte-compile produces no
>> warnings; the same code produces warnings when native-emacs is run
>
> A Stefan says, these are real problems that you should report.  they
> are not false warnings.

IIUC he refers above to the case where his Makefiles only generate the
.elc and the .eln are auto-generated lazily later.  This is a known
issue.

IMO it should be fixed by making the lazy native compiler take the .elc
file as input instead of restarting from the .el file; those "extra
warnings" we get are due to dependencies not being loaded into the Emacs
session that does the native compilation and these missing dependencies
can cause macro-calls to be compiled as function calls, IOW we may end
up miscompiling the files.

But of course, part of the blame is in the .el files themselves which
should not depend on special Makefile tricks to get the right files
preloaded, but it can require a fair bit of work to fix an existing
package w.r.t such problems.  Also, this used to work so we should
strive to keep it working.

        Stefan