Re: Native Compilation And External Packages

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Re: Native Compilation And External Packages
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 20:05:14 -0700

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
Following up to myself before shutting down for the night:

1. '-f batch-byte-native-compile-for-bootstrap'
   gives me most of what I was looking for -- ie produces correctly
   built emacspeak eln files, and there are now no Warnings when running
   the resulting build.

   2. Caveats: For a while I was lost as to where the .eln files were
      gone, to avoid confusion I cleaned up .emacs.d/eln-cache -- still
      couldn't find any emacspeak eln files after a fresh build.

      Turns out that calling the bootstrap builder puts the eln files in
      the emacs source tree -- this works for me for now since I am
      running native-emacs from the source tree -- but we may well need
      a better solution.

      I will still try and file bugs tomorrow as appropriate -- but the
      present "circularity " that forces me to use the bootstrap
      builder:

      A. batch-native-compile does not produce .elc files.
         B. This means that your Makefile %.el:%.elc rule wont work, if
            the elc files are present make wont do anything; if you
            delete the .elc files, the native compiler runs, but you
            dont have any .elc files so the package might not start up
            (emacspeak doesn't).

            C. going the bootstrap route also appears to avoid bugs
               where the native compiler is overly aggressive and tries
               to jit files that were earlier compiled via
               batch-native-compile.

--

Thanks,

?7?4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  ?0?8