Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 18:34:14 +0100

xristos <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 21 May 2020 11:33:25 +0200,
> I see João admit that he's not familiar with a lot of the C-h commands.
> This is a problem that should be easy to fix. I've long seen the Emacs
> tutorial as unnecessarily narrow-minded in its focus on text editing.

Just caught my name here by accident and accurately cited :-) I just
wanted to add that I first encoutered the Emacs tutorial some 3/4 years
after I started using Emacs and it was a wonderful revelation: _that_
was the thing that made me remove all my "make emacs work like Eclipse"
configuration.  So, narrow-minded or not, pretty effective for me.  I
haven't done the tutorial in years... I do vaguely remember having fun
with it and wanting it to go on, but finding it pretty short.  As a
provocation, I wonder if more of that adventure-style interactive
tutorial wouldn't be the thing to bring those Spacemancs fanboys to
vanilla?

João