Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 12:07:16 -0500

On 21 May 2020, address@hidden wrote:
>> >Well, I'm not sure exactly what "professional software" means in this
>> >context, but if it means "expects the user to make sustained investment",
>> >then I agree.
>>
>> I don't know, Blender? Which has reportedly made some strides in
>> usability lately. Other 3D editors and associated programs.
>
>I keep seeing Blender mentioned here. One thing which should
>be considered is that Blender was "born" 1994. At that time,
>Emacs was around its 19th version and was already 18 -- so
>allowed to drink (in some jurisdictions, that is).

For those who would like to learn more about Blender's efforts to improve its
usability for "professional" users -- in this case, helped by someone who is
literally a professional user -- there's a Libre Lounge podcast episode that
talks about this:

https://librelounge.org/episodes/36-david-revoy-on-pepper--carrot-and-free-culture.html

The interviewee is David Revoy, author of the webcomic series "Pepper and
Carrot".  (Our very own Christopher Lemmer Webber is one of the two co-hosts of
this episode; the other is libre sofware/culture activist Serge Wroclawski.)

I'm not sure how the lessons there might apply to Emacs, but someone else might
think of something I didn't.

Libre Lounge is, naturally, available in entirely Free audio formats (though,
alas, I don't think there's a transcript available).

Best regards,
-Karl