Line wrap reconsidered

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Line wrap reconsidered
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 14:13:04 -0400

I’ve implemented and used a lisp-based line-wrapping feature for a while and
it’s still sub-optimal for me. I now want to try to explore if I can add it
directly to redisplay.

Here is what I come up with: in redisplay code, instead of only checking for
whitespace, check for a ‘no-wrap text-property, if the character has this
property, don’t wrap before[1] this character (or maybe it can be the opposite,
only wrap when the character has a ‘can-wrap property). And this text property
is calculated and applied once.

Could this be plausible? Is checking text property is fast enough for redisplay?

[1] There are some complications to this, some characters can’t have line break
before them, some can’t have after; maybe  use ‘before, ‘after and nil instead
of binary value.

Yuan