Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 14:24:56 +0300

On 18.05.2020 06:49, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > I would like to point out, as an author of several packages, that in my
   > experience having a package in ELPA is _better_ than having it in the core.

Better in which sense?  Do you mean, better for you in maintaining the
package?

As explained in another email: better discoverability. Better at helping the users notice the package.

Simply including a file in the Emacs distro doesn't do much.

Having the package in the core makes it possible to maintain it in
sync with Emacs releases.  Having it in GNU ELPA makes it possible to
release improvements in the package that work for old Emacs releases.
I think that either one can be valuable in some cases.

The latter is definitely useful. It's also a boon (with :core packages) when you want a release a new version, the last Emacs release was a month ago, and it's a year or two until the next one.

The former... there are certainly cases when a package is good to have in the core (the obvious ones are when we want to turn it on by default).

As far as maintaining them in sync, do you mean the advantage is the package can use new APIs, hooks, etc, that are added at the same time the change in the package is made? That can certainly be a boon, but the very same thing makes keeping the package work with older Emacs more difficult.

The packages that require new APIS are almost always new packages themselves. So it might help to let them "incubate" inside Emacs, but after that the advantages of staying in the core are less obvious (aside from keeping compatibility, etc). And such packages can still be developed externally, perhaps with somewhat higher overhead.

IME most packages depend on stable interfaces, though.