Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?

From: Matthias Meulien
Subject: Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 23:51:02 +0200

Stefan Kangas <address@hidden> writes:

    https://github.com/Fuco1/eshell-bookmark/issues/1

Stefan, may be you'll like to have support for bookmark.el in VC dir buffers too (see bug #39722)? ;-)

(FWIW, I think we should have a policy to reject such packages on technical grounds (and ideally MELPA would do the same).) Now, this is an extreme example, but many more could be found. Why are the authors of "helpful.el" not helping us mainline some of their great innovation, for example? Has anyone else thought about this? Is it correct to say that such a "package first" culture has developed? If yes, why has it developed, and is there anything we could do about it?

I guess good reasons to prefer small packages to fix annoyances is that: 1) The delay can be long between a patch is submitted and it is commented or merged (already two months for the mentionned one). OTOH packages are immediatly availables to all your computers

2) It's not clear to me whether trivial patches are welcome or not; My feeling is that they're wasting precious time of core Emacs developers
--
Matthias