Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 21:33:49 -0700

> * When users express interest in a patch package, we should say, "The
> right thing to do here is merge that change.  Would you like to do
> that work?  Then we could install the patch and support it."

I agree with everything you say here.  It is a good summary.

Just to clarify that helpful.el goes much further than a "patch
package".  It has significant features.

I believe I opened up for confusion by mentioning helpful.el in the same
breath as another package.  That other package indeed could and should
rightly be described as a "patch package".

I felt it was in place for me to clarify this, in fairness to the
helpful.el developers.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas