Issue with makeinfo dependency

From: Ergus
Subject: Issue with makeinfo dependency
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 11:13:24 +0000 (UTC)

Hi:

I am building emacs in a new system and I have seen that by default there is a dependency with makeinfo. The latest releases of most popular distributions like Arch, Debian or Ubuntu doesn't provide such program anymore cause they provide texi2html as a modern replacement.

The real issue is that emacs' configure doesn't detect this and I only get an error at the end of the build.

make[2]: Entering directory '/mnt/almacen/repo/gits/emacs/build_debian/doc/misc'
  GEN      ../../../doc/misc/../../info/efaq.info
/bin/bash: makeinfo: command not found

Should we modify this Makefile.in to use texi2html conditionally when makeinfo isn't detected? Or are there a any known compatibility problem with the "new" texi2* family??

Best
Ergus