Re: PL support

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 21:11:50 +0300

On 11.05.2020 20:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

In the meantime, we're losing out on nearly-built-in support for
many file types, e.g. yaml-mode.

What do you mean by "nearly-built-in support"?  And how are we losing
it?

If some wants to edit some ML files, they can 'M-x package-install sml-mode'. If they want a popup based completion interface, then can 'M-x package-install company' (and M-x global-company-mode, okay). All fast, without a need to customize anything.

For YAML, for example, this is not an option. But it could be.

One obvious thing: every package is highly unlikely to nuke your
machine, or steal your credentials.

Sorry, but this is not our problem.  We cannot fix the entire world.
If Emacs users who install packages from MELPA have fears about their
security, let them take this up with MELPA admins, or fork MELPA and
make their own site, or do anything else.  This isn't part of the
problem that the Emacs project should tackle.

So we don't recommend MELPA in our docs.

We could also have other differentiating features. For example, asking
authors of "external" packages to sign commits that bump the version number.

Again, not our problem.  We have enough on our plate already.

You're probably talking about yourself. GNU ELPA has largely been Stefan's project (though other people helped).