Re: PL support

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 00:59:42 -0400

   Our unwillingness to make Free Software packages like Magit or Tuareg
   easily installable into Emacs with no extra configuration forces many
   of our users to add MELPA to their `package-archives`.

I'm sure that Magit or Tuareg are most welcome to be part of Emacs if
the the needed paper work is done.

An idea maybe e.g., Magit could join as a a GNU project, and followed
the needed rules for a GNU project but without copyright assignments
to the FSF.  Then Magit could be listed in the package-archives list.
It would not be part of Emacs, but it would safeguard the situation of
not falling into a trap of recommending non-free software, etc.

The unwillingness you speak of is falling into a trap of recommending
things that the GNU project is activley working against -- non-free
software.  Not an unwillingness to add things.