Project.el, xref.el and eldoc.el in GNU ELPA (Was: PL support)

From: João Távora
Subject: Project.el, xref.el and eldoc.el in GNU ELPA (Was: PL support)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 19:25:30 +0100

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:12 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Again, not our problem.  We have enough on our plate already.
>
> You're probably talking about yourself. GNU ELPA has largely been
> Stefan's project (though other people helped).

And I just want to point out, again (diverting the subject a little bit)
that it is very useful, particularly because of the :core package
feature that allows it to distribute reasonably stable parts of the
slow-to-release Emacs version in much quicker fashion. This
is kind of a game-changer, at least in my opinion, and we should
be very very thankful to Stefan (and those other people :-) )

Speaking of that, as discussed earlier with Stefan and Dmitry I'm
planning on making project.el, xref.el and eldoc.el be GNU ELPA
:core packages, and making the Eglot package depend on them.
Any objection?

João

PS: back to the topic of GNU ELPA, it is true that it also has
what I now see as a secondary mission, to distribute
commonly used packages which the core doesn't depend
on.  That goal is arguably being fulfilled better by MELPA,
I believe.  If all that's blocking passage of a package from
MELPA into ELPA is the use of s.el and similar stuff,
my opinion is that  we focus on a technical solution to
that.