Re: PL support

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 21:41:23 +0300

Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
  address@hidden, address@hidden
From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 16:55:17 +0300

So what does the lead maintainer being strapped for time have to do with
it? Other people routinely work on GNU Emacs and various related projects.
They do, and everyone's contributions are greatly appreciated.  But
our standards and conventions, and our procedures are common and
should be agreed upon, regardless of who personally does what.
Otherwise we will cease to be a coherent project with common goals and
practices.

Sorry, I'm not sure what this is going to mean in practice. And you
going to dismiss an existing sub-project of Emacs (GNU ELPA) because you
don't have enough time AND because people haven't been formatting their
commit messages correctly?

Sorry, I cannot parse this.  I didn't mention dismissing anything, and
I don't see how my lack of time and formatting of commit messages have
any relation to what I wrote (or to the general issue at hand,
really).

A reminder, then: I gave an argument for keeping GNU ELPA around, and you responded with "have enough on our plate already".

I wasn't asking for an immediate fix to that problem, but pointing out that, to my knowledge, GNU ELPA might be the best positioned to tackle this problem, now or later, among all existing popular package archives for Emacs.

Anyway, since you (or RMS) don't seem to support the goals with which apparently Stefan created it, and some people contributed to it, these arguments may be moot now.

Going back to the question of coding standards: I don't see anything outrageous in the idea that some parts of Emacs (e.g. the "main core", however we would define that) could be subject to more strict documentation requirements that some other, more faster-moving parts. As long as everybody is clear on the criteria.