Re: PL support

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 13:11:38 -0700

> In general, when we put a package into GNU ELPA, we want to be able
> to move it into the core.

Has it ever been discussed to have two tiers?

That is, keeping the current "ELPA" for code with copyright assignments
only, but opening up a new "ELPA-contrib" where we don't require an
assignment.  The default value of `package-archives' could then be:

   '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)
     ("gnu-contrib" . "https://elpa.org/packages-contrib/";))

We could work on getting packages moved over to "ELPA proper" at the
rate we decide.

I see great benefits with having some packages being distributed by us
instead of a third party (MELPA).  In particular, we would not have to
worry about recommending and promoting such a repository, since it would
be fully within our control.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas