Re: PL support

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 22:12:06 +0300

On 09.05.2020 21:47, João Távora wrote:

That doesn't sound too bad. Bonus points if the same hooks could be
universal for the LSP protocol, i.e. if lsp-mode could conceivably use
them too.

The thing is, you haven't exactly explained why Eglot in core sounds
bad, either.  You say Eglot in GNU Elpa is decent already and I agree.

Imagine taking the whole of MELPA and putting it inside the Emacs repository. Why would it be a bad idea? Lots of different codebases developed by different people with different responsibilities.

Our bug tracker and development workflow has no solutions to this problem: everybody has to read every bug report and every commit message.

But having it in core would bring some advantages, particularly for
me, I admit.  Having to jump back and forth between xref.el, project.el,
eldoc.el, flymake.el, jsonrpc.el and eglot.el in different repos is not
much fun.

These are just two repositories between these packages.

Making concerted changes could become easier sometimes, but it would also become easier to break backward compatibility. All of these packages don't serve Eglot only, and making a change in Emacs separately is a good reminder of that separation.