Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 09:59:08 -0400

> If I may: your strategy is sub-optimal.  When looking for a function

FWIW, for me the problem is not to find the function but to remember
which permuation we chose for the one I'm thinking of.

Typical examples: is it `multibyte-string-p` or `string-multibyte-p`,
`file-name-absolute-p` or `absolute-file-name-p`, ... ?

The regexp functions mentioned elsewhere in this thread are another good
example, of course, and the lack of `looking-at` from the list they
mention is telling: the name `looking-at` prevents people from
discovering it.

Yes, we can try and improve completion, but we have a real underlying
problem of irregular naming and completion would just help us paper
over it.

We don't have to rename anything.  We can keep living with what
we have.  And we shouldn't rename the world either.  But I strongly
believe that we *should* try and rename a few things here and there
to slowly put more structure and order in our name space.
We will all benefit from it (unless we over do it, obviously).

        Stefan